1.9K views

Quite simply, Xlibris is a fraudulent, dishonest and incompetent, disaster zone.Xlibris is nothing more than a quick-buck scam printer, posing as a "print-on-demand publisher", and it has one of the highest complaints percentages for a small business of it's type - with numerous civil legal proceedings for fraud and libel - including one major one that is currently in the Indiana courts and when the judgement is made public in Spring 2011, will likely make the Rebecca Brandewyne/Authorhouse saga look like a walk in the park.

(Word is they're going to need to remortgage a few houses to cover the damages on this latest libel case) Xlibris was started in the late 1990s in a parents' basement, and was previously run out of a garage/home office in Philadelphia, but in the last year moved to the Author Solutions call-center with partner frauds, AuthorHouse (which has a long legal history - just Google "Authorhouse Scam" to find out) and Searchforpublishers.com - the quintessential Author trap. As of December 2010, Xlibris owes huge back taxes to the IRS and is currently carrying huge liabilities that Mr Princeton CEO Kevin Weiss has strategized to rescue with disturbingly dubious "publish 2 for 1" / "publish for a buck" coupon deals which any writer, however good or bad, should stay well clear. Their book production is dogshit like their customer service. Piers Anthony, one of the website's English owners, one of the swarming flies who still fronts this scam, is a failed British "published author" and part time ***-man who lives in Florida, and has a few skeletons of his own - including a 20-year old criminal record in the UK for serious sexual misconduct, fraud and theft.

Yes, Random House does still own a percentage - but let's be clear folks, Random House has a sleeping stake much the same way that Microsoft partially owns the adult services site, Ingenio/Niteflirt and don't they keep that very quiet. RH makes VERY CLEAR that Xlibris books have nothing to do with RH. The Xlibris website contains inept, vague material which is more confusing than helpful, and makes wild inconsistent boasts about how the company has "600 staff" on one page, yet, on another page mysteriously has "300 employees".

The company actually has 3 full time employees, (including Mr Ivy League Kevin Weiss), and at any one time up to 10 part time workers, most of whom are part-time college students who know virtually nothing about publishing except high school english and how to make a greasy $10/hour.The problems with printing at Xlibris are as long as Authorhouse's scam history, they are a disgusting company and I'm sorry they ever crossed paths with my work.

Had an Experience with Xlibris?

Comments

They have a call center and use boiler room tactics to get money from unsuspecting authors. This is a criminal enterprise.

Can you tell me is there a class action against Xlibris they are not giving me a refund for work that I paid for and they have not done. I did terminate my agreement with them and they said that I would get a refund. Annette email address is powerandspeed86@gmail.com

Was the company originally established as a scam when it started out (in the parents' basement) or did it eventually turn out that way when it joined up with Author Solutions? Anyways I like thousands of others fell for their lies, especially the promotional packages which didn't do squat to sell my book and only reduced my checking account. I had to cancel my debit card and change my bank account number because of these crooks.

Xlibris loves to scam the elderly.

Copyright is yours by virtue of your having written the book. You don't have to pay any fee Viola. You can do that for extra security but it's not essential and you shouldn' do it before sending to a REAL publisher (Xlibris is just a stupi-d scam vanity company not REAL)

Xlibris loves to scam the elderly.

Trenton, New Jersey, United States #922754

One thing to do for any books you write "Be sure to submit your work to Library of Congress for copyright".What some don't know is the book company may not do this.

You need to know that this is done for yourself. I make sure I submit all of my works for copyrights/patent and I do the work myself. It takes time and it is work, but it is important and necessary, worth the money. Your work needs to be protected, because of the fact there are a lot of "crooks" out there, as well as people who try to steal the works of others and claim it as their own, act like they wrote it??

Xlibris also did not submit books for copyright.

What they did was after receiving legal complaints??, they sent out letters asking for yet another service, "for authors to pay $199.00 for copyright" (which they will submit through their company supposedly??), which I saw document, when you can get your own copyrights for approximately $50.00 to $55.00 for each book What a joke they are.

You can do the work yourself.All legal, all legitimate through Library of Congress.

Trenton, New Jersey, United States #922750

Xlibris is a scam.You publish a book with them and you hear "nothing" afterwards, except calls for more money regarding other services??, supposedly.

They state authors will receive statements via mail at first. Then they say you can review statements online, but yet when you go to check the website after being told this, "the screen shows nothing and/or says no sales were reported and/or other??". All you get, once they publish a book is "more phone calls asking for more money for this and that. No statements regarding sales was ever received once a book was published.

A copyright lawyer says that a class action suit should be filed against Xlibris and that if you have a lawyer, they can retrieve records as to sales from them and/or other companies they sent your book to.

They owe all authors they cheated.I don't like dirty businesses.

When working on getting my book published, I was given very professional attention by English speaking representatives of the company.Now that my book is published, I can't get anyone who speak English on the phone anymore.

All calls are routed to the Phillippines and most people answering the phones there can't comprehend what I am saying.

I pretty much have given up, refuse to buy any more books from them and will be moving my book to another publisher as soon as I can.If you value your literary work, stay clear of Xlibris!!

Thank you very much for this eye opening information about this Xlibris company, to see how ruthless and heartless are they before I can be committed to them.May God bless you so much for warning us before we could fall prey to these people who are busy destroying peoples' lives.

They have made a lot of follow ups on me persuading me to pay money to them even before they could publish my book.

And, these people are so convincing and are taught how to speak very nice with people and for one to be a victim is very easy, they are so cunning.Thank you so much for your help good people.