London, England

I was so excited to publish my book with this company as I would get what I always wished for is to help women and youth.

Everything seemed to go well until I received the results from evaluation and I was told there was a problem on two parts as it is in negativate way, I was willing to change at first and ask what is needed from me.

All I got from Xlibris was the same email about liability and I have to change my story, characters, where it took place and change my name, I was not willing to change any of it as it my biography and self help book and I specifically said that to them and have proof of it on the emails and as when speaking to them they purposely say that the phone calls are recorded as I spoke to then numeracaly and said I can not change my story and came back to me and said I did not say that.

I was not willing to work with company that are not willing to treat me professionally or fairly as after a month or so of going forwards and backwards about liabilities of their contract without asking direct questions. As those two parts are not part or will affect the liability because the person I have divorced and the case is closed and my grandma is dead after finding out this facts that they wanted to ahead to continue the work but I did not, as everything would have been alright if they asked the right questions in the beginning, not after a month or so.

I terminated my project with them and now there going around not answering my emails without sending my refund.

My book is already with another publisher who is great and soon will be published. I am writing this review so it would not happened to another person .

All I want is to get my refund and go on with my life.

Dear Barke,

I understand where you are coming from and will respect your decision to terminate your project.

I am unable to assist you with your cancellation and refund requests; however, I have forwarded your message to the Customer Satisfaction team to contact you.

Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:48 PM

Subject: RE: PID: 798909 | Content Evaluation Result

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Dear Mr Charles,

Since the first email you sent to me I have been thinking about everything as my book is my personal story, a true and factual story to be told.

The most important part of that story is what, where and how it happened. Unfortunately l no longer believe that we are a match and would like to withdrew my application and get a refund.

Barke

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 at 15:07, Charles Del Mar

Dear Barke,

You do not need to change your story.

You only have to hide the identity of all the people in your book as well as yourself and changing where the story took place.

Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 9:30 AM

Dear Charles,

I would like to know how to go about this as this is my life story and to be honest I don't want to change the story itself.

Jean said to contact you as you might know what to do and would like to find out if there's any way we can go forward and publish my book with you as my publisher or get another publisher to print my book.

Barke

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 14:34, Charles Del Mar

Dear Barke,

I understand that you wish to publish your accomplishments, however publishing a book is a commercial venture and we respect other people’s privacy.

Choose the steps below and follow for us to move your book forward:

1. Hide identities of the people, places, and things in the work so that they cannot be recognized by the information contained in the work. The following steps must be taken in order to hide identities.

Edit the following to include the steps that apply:

· Use a pen name in all locations where your real name would have appeared in the book and/or on the cover.

· Use false names for all other people mentioned in the work.

· Use false names for businesses or not use names for them at all.

Examples of businesses that would need to have their names hidden: restaurants, hospitals, organizations/clubs, educational establishments, such as high schools and universities, etc.

· Change the location where the story takes place.

· No images of recognizable people or things that would lead to anyone’s identification.

2. Removing all potentially libelous claims and also removing statements that might invade a person’s privacy.

3. Obtain notarized express written permission from all parties being discussed permitting you to retain the potentially libelous claims and information about them that might invade their privacy.

Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:59 AM

Dear Charles,

Thats fine with to hide their identity and for the images i will use my family and the accomplishment that i had in my journey, fo you want me to remove them or are you alright to changed their names

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 13:35, Charles Del Mar

I understand.

However, you can still show empowerment to other women and youth by hiding all identities. For us to move your book forward, you will have to use a pen name, hide all identities in your book and you will also have to remove all images that can lead to your identity or someone’s identity.

Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 6:19 AM

Subject: Re: PID: 798909 | Content Evaluation Result

Dear Charles, Thank you for the results and my book is to empower other women and youth and that is to show the pain and how i overcome it and with my husband I have not put his name but its needs to be there and for my grandmother I will not put her photo, for my image I did professional shoot to use professional and personal,

With regards

Barke for the names i can remove my

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 10:15, Charles Del Mar

Dear Barke,

I hope this message finds you well! Your project has been reviewed by the content evaluation department and the following is a list of follow-up questions/issues that will need to be resolved before we can move your project forward.

Please note that it is the author’s responsibility to ensure that all issues have been addressed and the examples provided below may not be all occurrences of the issue in the work.

Issues Identified:

Libel/Invasion of Privacy. In your work there is text that can possibly damage a reputation of a person, place, or thing, and/or there is information being revealed that could invade a person’s privacy. Please see our policy guidelines below regarding potentially libelous material and information that might invade person’s privacy.

Please note:

• It is possible to libel people from all walks of life, businesses, corporations, products, clubs, hospitals, etc. Basically anything that has a reputation can be defamed.

• If the person being discussed in a negative light has passed away, then libel cannot exist.

• Not using a real name for someone or something or using false names does not automatically remove the risk of libel unless there is absolutely no information in the work that would identify whoever or whatever is being discussed.

Examples:

Negative statements found on the manuscript

Author is not using pen name and real names are mentioned

Author also supplied personal photos of her family & relatives

I could not understand why my husband was still not happy with me as I did not know what else to change about me and I cared so much and wanted to make a difference in my marriage.

My grandma Bi Salma, was different from the sweet little granny I always remember being depicted in the picture books.

Somehow, she would manage to create chaos in the house; orchestrating situations so that people; especially the children would be at loggerheads. Yet when two siblings would finally resort to fighting in the house, she immediately turned into a rescuer placing herself; slap bam; in the middle to calm the situation down. She would then relay all the goings on to my uncle by telephone and felt it necessary to explain to him that we the children were in fact horrible and rotten to the core. She encouraged him to switch his financial support to his sister’s children as we were a waste of his valuable money absolutely unworthy of his generosity due to our behaviour.

She said it made more sense to help to look after his sister’s children as there were more boys. This unashamedly brought a huge division in the family. An illustration of her internal mess making which unfortunately was extended to the outer perimeters. She somehow forgot to reflect on her part in raising my siblings; appearing to believe that they raised themselves and she was absolutely and completely oblivious to her role or participation in any of the situations that came about due to her meddling.

She told us initially and reminded my siblings often that it was their fault that our father died.

Her rationale this time was that because there were so many of us; this was the reason he died due to high blood pressure. This was repeated over and over, all day and every day. The words sharply implanted in my mind. “You killed your father and now you want to kill me”.

My grandma’s manipulation continued when her other son my Uncle Salum was present.

She would ignite my Uncle by telling him that my eldest sister was bad or had done something that she should not have done. The first time I saw this happen with my own eyes it was like an awakening. My unrest was given evidence. I saw my uncle wait for my sister to arrive home.

It was in the evening and the first I heard was the commotion of shouting. I then was horrified to discover that my uncle was actually hitting my sister with a money belt. The type that the Arab’s used to carry money with. It had metal running along the edge of it; so; something that would inflict a considerable amount of pain.

She escaped his grip and ran to the toilet and shut the door. He pushed the door, but as he could not force it open, he left. I watched then as my grandma Bi Salma arrived at the toilet door. She told my elder Dada sister Ashura, that my uncle Ami Salum, had gone and that it was safe for my sister to open the door and allow her to go in.

I stood aghast as I watched, as a silent standby, unable to intervene; as once she had coerced her and my sister did open the door; my grandma actually let my uncle Ami Salum, enter and again beat her.

Having internalised all the messages and voices gifted me by my grandma Bi Salma, I promised myself; that me Barke, I would not have so many children like my father did. I would never have so many children that others could abuse and I would not let people or anyone treat my children like that. That day I hated my grandma Bi Salma due to her action.

That day on our way back I asked him where the letter was with the cheque that the government gave us for a deposit. My husband handed it to me and when I looked at it, I was shocked to silence.

There was an expiry date at the bottom of the letter. With an absolute intense sickening in my stomach I saw that the expiry date had passed by one week already. I then had the enormous and sad task of transmitting this information to him. I opened my mouth and slowly explained the news barely able to comprehend the full extent of my lost dream.

The words that he returned with after such a shock was like having a bucket of ice-cold water poured over my head and I felt my exposed heart split into tiny pieces. This was the moment I knew that this man whoever he was; was not my husband. He had never really loved or cared for me. I remember looking back to see my child laying asleep peacefully in the back seat of the car.

But it was not a joke.

“How can you think I wanted to buy a home with you, you have nothing to give, no job, no education you have nothing that I want” The worst part was that he had known all along.

After that incident, I could no longer look at my brother in law and I could only apologise for wasting both his time and money. Stripped at that moment not only of my dream, my love, my future but stripped of my dignity; my respect; and my honour.

When I looked around the place, I realised that it was not mine. I felt like a guest as whatever he, my husband, wanted to do around the house or within his life that is what would happen. He would do as he wanted.

According to him I was not there to advise him. Rather only to have babies and be the wife he wanted me to be. To cook and to clean. When I had the courage to start voicing the things that I wanted; that is when everything started to crush and we clashed on everything in our marriage.

Forced then, I had to ask myself why it was that I did not have the right to an opinion on anything and why my opinion was not heard or valued. I began to realise that this life was not my life rather his.

Action required:

Please choose one of the options below in order to resolve issues:

Edit the following to include the steps that apply

o Use a pen name in all locations where your real name would have appeared in the book and/or on the cover.

o Use false names for all other people mentioned in the work.

o Use false names for businesses or not use names for them at all.

o Change the location where the story takes place.

o No images of recognizable people or things that would lead to anyone’s identification.

Action Required:

Images (Photos, cartoons, artwork, maps, charts, tables, etc). In your materials we found images that are intended for the book.

We believe that at least some of the images are copyright protected. Because publishing a book with us is a commercial venture, express written permission is required from the copyright owner before they can be used. Please see our policy guidelines below and choose which option is best for your situation.

• Obtain express written permission from the copyright owner and cite the source.

• Provide verification that the image can be used without permission.

• Remove the images from your work.

Please note:

• The inability to contact a copyright owner does not imply permission.

• If the material can be found in several locations on the Internet that does not mean it is not protected.

• Unless proven otherwise, all materials from other sources are assumed to be copyrighted.

• Documentation is required to prove something is in the public domain.

• Ownership of the physical copy of the work is not the same as owning the copyright of the work.

Examples:

Supplied author photo is professionally taken, permission from studio/photographer/proof of payment (either of the 3) is required

Sincerely,

United Kingdom

UK Tel: +44-800-056-3182 Ext.# 8503

Fax: 44-203-006-8880

charles.delmar@authorsolutions.com.

We’d love to hear from you! We invite you to share feedback and suggestions of your publishing experience with us.

Simply call or email us. Don’t forget to include your Project ID number and book title so that we can respond.

Vanessa Diaz

OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR

Author Solutions

1663 Liberty Drive

Bloomington, IN 47403

P: 812.671.9754 ext: 7228

vanessa.diaz@authorsolutions.com

Please include your Book ID number and book title in your email subject line.

**Please Note: I always do my best to respond to e-mails and attend to your concerns as soon as possible.

However, because of the volume of e-mail that comes in each day it may take 24-48 hours for a response. I appreciate your patience and understanding!

Product or Service Mentioned: Xlibris Publishing Service.

Comments