This is the worst experience I've ever had with a self-publishing company. I've written books before and had them published with less trouble than this.

The most insidious thing about the situation is that these people had hunted me down for a year and I finally decided to give them a chance. The problem with most of these self-publish companies is that they want the writer to be a typesetter. I don't typeset, I write. After I finally decided to let them publish my book, they wrote back and said they would take the book if I agreed to change certain things.

Listen to this: First of all they were talking to someone who obtained a degree in Professional Writing at Distinction level, from a university overseas at which the professors were British. Now you don't get a standard higher than that, unless you are attending a university in England. What this company wanted me to do was change the locations, situations and names of the people mentioned in my --get this--autobiography. Now how ridiculous is that?

Obviously, whoever was reviewing my book had know knowledge whatsoever when comes to literature, particularly when you consider that you cannot change locations and individuals in a non-fiction book. I had previously changed or disguised the names of everyone in the book--including my husband. The book covers my travels and experiences in France, Germany, England, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Belgium, Greece, Rome, Malta, Ethiopia, Egypt, Sudan, Kenya, Tanzania, Namibia, Southwest Africa, Senegal, Paraguay, Israel, Gaza, Iran and Jordan. Now seriously, how can I substitute the names of those countries, with others?

Where would I get the others? There are hardly any "others" left. Next they didn't want me to mention the people or places I worked. That's a little ridiculous when I've worked for Kenya Parliament, Actor William Holden, U.S.

State Department, Foreign Affairs Department, Australia, United Nations, and many other notable organizations. What would I replace these with?? I pointed this out to Xlibris, so they refused to publish my book. I don't mind, because having judged what they were requesting I realized that the people who are making decisions are novices when it comes to literature and a bit shaky when it comes to honesty.

What they did was to ask for an initial deposit and then when I broke with the company, they continued to make withdrawals from my bank, when they were providing no service at all. I call that 'theft' I'm writing this to warn people. I'm going to try to see what I can do about it.

I would enjoy hearing about the problems that anyone else had with this company. I noted on scanning the internet, there are 316 complaints about this company.

Product or Service Mentioned: Xlibris Publishing Service.

Reason of review: Several things: poorly trained staff, theft of my money, with no service provided..

Comments

EqualYorkshireTerrier

Their aggressive telemarketers duped me for $25,000. Xlibris probably has the pushiest, along with the most belligerent publishing consultants and telemarketers in the globe, because when it comes to hounding new authors, they sure know what they’re doing.

I highly recommend, do not fall for their see-through-eyed scams and deceits.When my book was redesigned by an expert cover designer from Kevin Anderson & Associates in 2018, it looked ten times better than Xlibris, 2015 version according to the commending feedback I saw online by other organizations after Book Buzz promoted it in June.They’ve also sent copies of another author’s book through e-mail when I was expecting my edited version. Plus, they overpriced the paperback at $24.99 & the hardcover for $3.99 when I tried to tell them I’m looking at pricing it between $8.99 to $11.99. They set the price for my e-book at $9.00, it took me more than two years to finally bring it down to .99 when all along Xlibris told me all three formats are low-priced. Would anyone consider $35 for hardback and $30 for Softcover a reasonably priced manuscript?

I don’t think so!Their answer was we don’t print by bulk like other publishers. I understand that but books I’ve seen elsewhere had more pages than mine and half the price. It’s no wonder their explanation was hard to believe, especially when their publishing consultant tried to sell me the same service of Returnable Books which retailers can return copies not sold, I reminded that I already paid for such service which won’t expire until 2 years later and she instead said if so I need to renew it.I replied to her that the way you were selling me this had nothing to do with renewal since she told from the beginning about her sales pitch that I no longer have an active Returnable Book service. Another thing that bothers me is when they exploit all their Filipino female operators which in some range make around $3 for twelve hours of work at a giant Call Center.

I don’t know for sure the exact hourly rate but what I read online corporations take advantage of third world countries with meager wages by paying them less than even McDonald workers and other public franchises in the US who make minimum payments.To clarify it, I’ll speculate that the destitute latter in the Philippines shall have to work a whole year to match what American minorities make in less than three months. They filled out my copyright in 2015 for only five years which will expire in 2020 which looks like after this term elapses, they’ll take over to retain full ownership of my book’s royalties.

I had to redo and update my manuscript through Bowker Identifier and had hired an intellectual property attorney since much has changed in my book.Thus, this time around it’ll last over 75 years which is far from the suspected Xlibris five years. Most of Xlibris promotional costs between $1,500 to $3,000 whereas Bowker Identifier cost is one quart of that and better quality.My Contact is: info@onestopbooks.com