Xlibris Scam - FRAUD WARNING

Dec 17, 2010
review #212088

Quite simply, Xlibris is a fraudulent, dishonest and incompetent, disaster zone.Xlibris is nothing more than a quick-buck scam printer, posing as a "print-on-demand publisher", and it has one of the highest complaints percentages for a small business of it's type - with numerous civil legal proceedings for fraud and libel - including one major one that is currently in the Indiana courts and when the judgement is made public in Spring 2011, will likely make the Rebecca Brandewyne/Authorhouse saga look like a walk in the park.

(Word is they're going to need to remortgage a few houses to cover the damages on this latest libel case) Xlibris was started in the late 1990s in a parents' basement, and was previously run out of a garage/home office in Philadelphia, but in the last year moved to the Author Solutions call-center with partner frauds, AuthorHouse (which has a long legal history - just Google "Authorhouse Scam" to find out) and Searchforpublishers.com - the quintessential Author trap. As of December 2010, Xlibris owes huge back taxes to the IRS and is currently carrying huge liabilities that Mr Princeton CEO Kevin Weiss has strategized to rescue with disturbingly dubious "publish 2 for 1" / "publish for a buck" coupon deals which any writer, however good or bad, should stay well clear. Their book production is dogshit like their customer service. Piers Anthony, one of the website's English owners, one of the swarming flies who still fronts this scam, is a failed British "published author" and part time ***-man who lives in Florida, and has a few skeletons of his own - including a 20-year old criminal record in the UK for serious sexual misconduct, fraud and theft.

Yes, Random House does still own a percentage - but let's be clear folks, Random House has a sleeping stake much the same way that Microsoft partially owns the adult services site, Ingenio/Niteflirt and don't they keep that very quiet. RH makes VERY CLEAR that Xlibris books have nothing to do with RH. The Xlibris website contains inept, vague material which is more confusing than helpful, and makes wild inconsistent boasts about how the company has "600 staff" on one page, yet, on another page mysteriously has "300 employees".

The company actually has 3 full time employees, (including Mr Ivy League Kevin Weiss), and at any one time up to 10 part time workers, most of whom are part-time college students who know virtually nothing about publishing except high school english and how to make a greasy $10/hour.The problems with printing at Xlibris are as long as Authorhouse's scam history, they are a disgusting company and I'm sorry they ever crossed paths with my work.

aa0b990
Had an experience with Xlibris?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Mjimaro

Jul 07

Thank you very much for this eye opening information about this Xlibris company, to see how ruthless and heartless are they before I can be committed to them. May God bless you so much for warning us before we could fall prey to these people who are busy destroying peoples' lives. They have made a lot of follow ups on me persuading me to pay money to them even before they could publish my book. And, these people are so convincing and are taught how to speak very nice with people and for one to be a victim is very easy, they are so cunning. Thank you so much for your help good people.

Mr. X

Mar 31 Winfield, Illinois

I had a book published by Xlibris, it's still at Amazon, and other book stores, as a POD. Apparently the only books I sold was to 20 of my friends, nothing from the public. Strange, but Amazon, and others keep saying that my book is selling out, but where's my royalties?

Maria

Jul 18, 2013 Rawalpindi, Punjab Province

I just signed up to their website and they called me. I havent even written a book yet, just signed up to know more. So after their call, I started having doubts. Am glad i read these reviews. However, i wanted to know what is the way to undo this. I havent paid them anything, havent made any deal nor signed a contract. I just want them to never call again . Is that possible ?

Jul 18, 2013 Rawalpindi, Punjab Province

Let me know .. should i email them and let them know that i dont want them to bug me :p I feel so bad for the victims of xlibris and thank ful to because you guys saved us amateurs like me.

Skyla

Jul 10, 2013 Cairns, Queensland

I won't repeat what everyone has said so far but I too am a victim of this absolute *** of a company. I just learnt this after almost paying $1500 to them! I'm utterly torn apart from this. I am afraid that the marketing package I have with them currently (which I am paying in installments) will *** my bank account and take the money.

My name is Jessica P, I live in Australia. If there are any other Australian victims please let's unite to sue these pathetic people. Email me at: music_as_a_weapon@live.com.au.

Amanda

Jun 11, 2013

Zoleka is one of the conmen who works at Xlibris defending it to *** more people. No one is happy being scammed by Xlibris. And it's rubbish that they couldn't have been "published" elsewhere there are plenty of small presses crying out for books and even if none of them want it you could publish it for free on Smashwords and very cheaply through Create Space there is no need for these pathetic high priced package it is nothing but a scam.
And if you look at reviews of Xlibirs by people who work there former employees tell how the management sit around laughing at the clients all day and making fun of them and hyping up everyone to sell sell sell not books of course but sell the scam "packages" to wannabe authors.

michellefailla

Mar 24, 2013

Sadly, We have been ripped off by Xlibris too. They talk and advertise a good game but once they have your money... We echo what has been written here by others... We could write another book on how many ways they have screwed up. We know for a fact of many people purchasing our book, Theo's Dream since 2006 and we have not seen a royalty check in years! We would happily join a law suit for damages, distress, and oh yes, no other publisher will look at you. Michelle & Pino

ZacAimson

Mar 13, 2013

Oh wow, I'm really sorry for everybody who's been cheated by this as I know what it's like to really care about a book but can I just say thankyou for this warning as I was about to publish with them and amount of disapointed people has really chnaged my mind

SAMI

Jul 03, 2013

DO NOT TOUCH THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE.THEY ARE CARELESS,MAKE MANY MISTAKES WITH YOUR MANUSCRIPT AND WILL OWN UP TO NOTHING.I HAVE JUST BEEN THROUGH A HORRENDOUS EXPERIENCE WITH THEM.CARRY ON SUBMITTING TO TRADITIONAL PUBLISHERS.IF YOUR BOOK IS OF WORTH YOU WILL BE ACCEPTED EVENTUALLY.I AM OLD AND IN POOR HEALTH AND THOUGHT I MIGHT NOT LIVE TO GET MY NOVEL PUBLISHED-AND I HAVE WRITTEN OTHERS.SO I OPTED FOR THEM.IT HAS BEEN A STRESSFUL,VERY EXPENSIVE BUSINESS. I REGRET EVER HAVING HEARD OF THEM. THE FINAL PRINTED BOOKS -WHICH YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR-CONTAIN MISTAKES THEY HAVE MADE IN SPITE OF YOU CHECKING AND RECHECKING THE GALLEYS THEY SENT YOU.THEY ARE VERY CLEVER AT WRIGGLING OUT OF ALL RESPONSIBILITY.THEY WANT YOU TO PAY EVEN MORE TO CORRECT MISTAKES WHICH ARE THEIRS IN THE FIRST PLACE.YOU ARE MADE TO FEEL A FOOL. YOU HAVE TO DO MOST OF YOUR OWN PUBLICITY.WHAT THEY PROVIDED HAS YIELDED VERY LITTLE IN INTEREST, KEEP WELL AWAY.

Cinamon

Jul 25, 2013

Sam you know there are small genuine publishers out there that you can submit to without even getting an agent. You might not sell a lot with a small honest publisher but at least you won't be paying big bucks to be scammed and exploited so if you can get your work up to a quality where a small publisher that accepts unagented manuscripts might be interested I would a million times recommend that over a vanity publisher. I'd also recommend self publishing an ebook for FREE on Smashwords (and you actually get your royalties from that from everyone I know who has done that) over a vanity publishing scam that wants to charge you "packages" starting at $999 :roll it's SO unnecessary for anyone these days to get sucked in by these rubbish scams I think they prey a lot on the elderly and try to steal their life savings. Xlibris staff should all be in prison.

Buyer of books

Dec 14, 2012

I ordered books through their website that I'm still waiting for.

I've been charged, goods have gone missing. Getting the run around via email. Will let the bank's legal department take care of my claim now.

Authors, this is why ordinary people shouldn't be expected to buy your creations from these people.

Nov 17, 2012

geeeze i like to get all my money back can;t they make them return the money to the people who went on a fast ride with them,,it;s not fair to just take the money and run ,,,

Nov 17, 2012

xlibris is a very very bad company please dont just give your money away to them what ever u do.i did it n now i cant get a hold of them they say my check is in the mail then they changed their minds been over a year and trying to get a hold of them is like winning the lottery it will never happen,,,cindy

I teare

Nov 10, 2012

I contacted xlibris and they wrote back and thank God that I checked on the complaints. I will not publish with them. Is nt it easy to find a publisher?

P. SIMMS

Nov 06, 2012

XLIBRIS PUBLISHING..."PLEASE DONT USE THEM"!!! They are not the company to deal with for 1st time authors, and experienced authors know better! They do not wish to deal with you or help you when you stop spending money! You will not see the promised results of the money you actually spend initially!

carol

Oct 23, 2012

I used xlibris. I did all the work in book format inclusive of all pictures and they have in all takem nealy $2.000 pounds off me. Then charged me another $14 dollars or so to have my free books delivered which I am still awaiting. I feel totally let down by this company. How can they live with themselves taking peoples well earned money, and especially lieing to them like me. Im doing all my own marketing. I have done my own research and at the most it would have cost me to do myself from start to finish would have been around £1.000 max. If this compamny can be sued I would love to get my well earned money back. There a discrace and should be made to pay back all the monies wrongly taken then closed down. Im so very disappointed in them :cry

janet

Oct 18, 2012

Experiencing the same. Sold books, only lists 5. Please inlcude me in any class law suits. janet.hardwick56@yahoo.com

GREG  BROOKS

Sep 14, 2012

RIPPED OFF BIGTIME.

PLEASE INCLUDE ME IN ANY CLASS ACTION.

GREG BROOKS.

1-20 of 70 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Xlibris.
Filing a new complaint about
×